Because your privacy is important to us, IFA Life operates by the following principles. The purpose of this statement is to explain to you what personal information we collect and how we may use it.
1. IFA Life is committed to protecting your privacy and maintaining the security of any personal information received from you. We strictly adhere to the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998. Part of our compliance is the registration of the purposes for which we process data with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). This is available on the Public Register of Data Controllers at www.ico.gov.uk.
2. When you register with IFA Life we ask you for your name, address, organisation and contact information which will be displayed on your profile page. IFA Life has an obligation under the Act to ensure all data processed is correct and current. You are encouraged to regularly review and update your personal information through your account settings.
3.1 We use your personal information to notify you of new features and changes to the website, to send you our Daily Update email newsletter (where you have requested it), to update you about new products and services from IFA Life and selected Partners, to improve our website, products and services and to conduct research.
3.2 By its nature and purpose, the IFA Life website is a networking medium by which business people seek to make contact and interact with each other. Other members of IFA Life may contact you via the IFA Life Forum and articles section or directly to your email address (if displayed on your profile page), telephone number, Skype address, website and addresses if visible on your profile. Members of the public may also use the IFA Life website to find an IFA or financial adviser using information that you post on your profile to contact you.
3.3 You have the option to choose not to receive our newsletter or to have your email address displayed on your profile page. This can be controlled from within your account settings or by contacting IFA Life: email@example.com
3.4 The personal information you enter onto the IFA Life website and choose to display on your profile page, will be viewable by any other member and any casual visitor to the site - including search engines that index the pages of the IFA Life website (with the exception of posts and comments in the Forum areas which are invisible to search engines and anyone who is not logged in to the site). We cannot accept responsibility or liability for any data processing conducted outside the remit of our services.
4. We follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of information which you have given us, to prevent unauthorised access in accordance with the UK data protection legislation.
4.1 We do not collect sensitive information about you except when you specifically and knowingly provide it. In order to maintain the accuracy of our database, you can check, update or remove your personal details by contacting IFA Life Limited, 1 Beaver Cottages, Smithwood Common, Cranleigh, Surrey, GU6 8QX, United Kingdom. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. When you disclose information about yourself or your business in the Forum areas of the website, you do so at your own risk, understanding that your information is visible to other logged in users of the website. IFA Life cannot be responsible for third parties obtaining and using information that you have provided in these sections of the website.
Privacy and Cookies
1. What information do we gather?
1.1 We gather information that relates to, and can identify you (e.g. your name and address) and information that does not identify you (e.g. the number of times that our website is visited over a given time frame). We collect information that does not identify you to evaluate our site, ensure that our site and services run properly and ensure we are paid for advertising services we offer.
2. How do we gather information?
2.1 Information is gathered in two ways:
(2) Directly when you sign up to create a profile page on IFA Life.
2.2 When responding to promotions, offers etc. by email. If you do not wish for your details to be used by us to send you promotions and offers, please make this clear by stating "No Offers".
3. Use of your information
3.1 We might use your personal information to:
(1) Remember you when you visit our website so that you can log in quickly
(2) Track your browsing patterns by using cookies. You can prevent this; section 5 deals with this in more detail.
(3) Ensure any products or services you receive from us are correctly administered (including subscriptions).
(4) Contact you by email, mail or telephone to let you know about any of our products, services or promotions (which, in some cases may be provided by third parties) if you give us permission.
(5) Ensure materials on the website are presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer.
(6) Collate and log numeric internet addresses to improve the website and to monitor website usage.
3.2 If you have subscribed to any of our services, we will use the information you provide to keep you updated on those services unless you tell us otherwise.
4. Accessing and updating your personal information
4.1 You can update your details and Daily Update email preferences by accessing your account pages on the website at www.ifalife.com, by emailing email@example.com or by writing to us at IFA Life Limited, 1 Beaver Cottages, Smithwood Common, Cranleigh, Surrey, GU6 8QX.
4.2 You have the right to access the personal information held about you. To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(1) Remember you when you visit this website so that you can log in quickly and to build up a profile of how our users as a whole use the website.
(2) Make our website work as efficiently as possible.
(3) Administer services to you and to some of our advertisers.
5.3 Most browsers allow you to turn off cookies. To do this, look at the “help” menu on your browser. Switching off cookies may restrict your use of the website and/or delay or affect the way in which it operates.
5.4 The third parties that we use to understand how users use our website include Google Analytics, GetClicky and AddThis.
6. Third party advertising cookies
6.1 A small number of the advertisements you see on the website are generated by third parties. Some of these third parties generate their own cookies to track how many people have seen a particular advertisement (or use the services of third parties to do this), and to track how many people have seen it more than once. These cookies cannot be used to identify an individual; they can only be used for statistical purposes. Some of the information gleaned from third party cookies will be aggregated with other anonymous information for statistical purposes. The third party companies that generate these cookies have their own, very strict, privacy policies but we don't have access to these cookies; other than allowing them to be served, we have no role to play in these cookies at all (although we may use statistical information arising from these third party cookies and provided to us by third parties, to improve the targeting of advertisements to users of the website).
6.2 If you would like to disable "third party" cookies generated by advertisers or providers of targeted advertising services, you can turn them off by going to the third party's website and getting them to generate a one-time "no thanks" cookie that will stop any further cookies being written to your machine.
6.3 You can also visit the trade body representing these advertising companies for more information on how to opt out of these cookies: http://youronlinechoices.com/
7. Disclosing your information
7.1 We may disclose your personal information if we are approached by a potential buyer of our business, if we are required to do so by law or in good-faith believing such action is necessary to comply with the law.
7.2 We sometimes share your personal information with third parties where you specifically ask us to for the purposes of fulfilling an offer that you may have subscribed to.
7.3 We never sell personal information, or pass it to third parties for marketing purposes without your permission.
7.4 The very nature of our website is for the purposes of networking and sharing information. Where you have provided personal contact information on your profile page, it is visible to anyone visiting your profile page, including Google and other search engines. You may request that specific contact details be removed from your profile by sending an email to email@example.com . However, if you wish your name to be removed from your profile, your profile and account will be deleted and you will be unable to access the forum areas of the website. (Please also see our Terms and Conditions regarding the use of anonymous profiles on IFA Life.)
8. Changes to this Policy
8.1 If we change our Policy, we will post the changes on this page. Please check the website regularly for any changes to this Policy.
9. If you don't feel we're adhering to this Policy, what should you do?
9.1 If you believe that we have not adhered to this Policy, or that you have questions about privacy please notify us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to solve the problem promptly.
This Policy was last updated on May 28th, 2012